- To reduce human suffering due to any natural disaster and reduce damage of properties.
- To create awareness among local community people to mitigate any natural disaster
- To organize rally, workshop and seminar to enhance awareness.
- To provide food and other necessary aid on emergency situation during an emergency situation.
- To organize any medical assistance in the flood affected area.
- To help restore communication in repairing roads and embankment and construction of new road.
Disaster Management Program cover 11 districts all over the country, which are: Gaibandha, Rangpur, Dinajpur, Khulna, Bagerhat, Coxs Bazar, Chittagong, Bhola, Noakhali, Patuakhali, Barguna with 20 sub-districts. or thanas.
HOW HEED IMPLEMENTED THE PROGRAM
- HEED organized group members were given specialized awareness lesson to build up the capacity of group members through PDP social development staffs.
- Training on Basic concept of Disaster management Participatory Rapid Appraisal (RPA) and Trainers of Training (TOT) given to disaster program staffs.
- Motivating HEED group members and staffs to serve spontaneously during flood and any kind of natural calamity.
Emergency Respond Activities:
- Flood Response: In 2006 divesting flood, HEED Bangladesh has responded to the north Bengal area where it served approximately 2000 flood victim families in pachbibi, Gobindagonj, Polashbari, Hakimpur, Nowabgonj and pirgonj upzilla of Joypurhat, Gaibandha, Dinajpur and Rajnagor district. Each family had been given 5 kg rice.
- During cold wave Blanket and warm clothes have been distributed among 1000 poor families.
- Disaster Management Program of HEED has responded to 30 fire victims of Rangamati district and Thakurgao district. Sudden fire burnt their house.
After severe flood in 2004, HEED has started rehabilitation Housing Program in Moulvibazar and Hobigonj district of Sylhet division. The activities of Rehabilitation project has successfully completed. Five hundred flood affected people and 50 hard core poor leprosy patient have been given the housing support. TEAR Fund UK, Australia and KNH Germany supported this project.
Mitigation (Structural/ non-structural):
- Tree Plantation: On the accation of International Environment day HEEED distributed 8500 fruit & herbs plants 1700 vulnarable families.
- Cyclone Shelter: HEED Bangladesh constructed cyclone shelters to coastal belt cyclone prone areas. Our cyclone shelters are being used for training, workshop, meeting and local, and social activity purposes.
|Trainig given to field staff||Participatory Development Program & Disaster Management Program||35|
|General awareness lesson (flood, cyclone & Earthquake) among group & non members||Participatory Development Program||50000|
|Emergency dry food relief given flood 2006 (Families)||Joypurhat, Gaibandha, Dinajpur, and Rangpur||2,000|
|Tree Plantation||Gopalgonj District||8,500|
|Blanket & Warm Clothes||Dinajpur, Khulna, Gopalgonj & Barisal||1000|
|No. of disaster management committee||All HEED working areas||45|
|No. of cyclone shelter management committee||All HEED working areas||8|
|Rehabilitation Work (Housing Project)||Hobigonj, Moulvibazar & Sylhet District||550|
HEED was successful in achieving great reputation in this sector. Those cyclone shelter and flood shelter are being used for various other development purposes.