TB Control Program is one of the core and founder projects of HEED Bangladesh. As a pilot project, HEED Bangladesh started its TB Control Program in 1980 in Kamalgonj upazial of Moulavibazar district. In 1993, the program expanded to 25 upazilas of Moulavibazar, Habigonj and Sylhet districts as a partnership project done under a MOU with Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Bangladesh. In 2004, TB Program of the organization started to work under the umbrella of GFATM fund led by PR BRAC. However, HEED Bangladesh is implementing TB program in collaboration of Government Health Sector. There are 38 microscopy/DOT centers in the three districts. In each upazila, one TB clinic is operating under the close supervision of govt. and respective staff of HEED Bangladesh. Apart these, each Upazila Health Complex Laboratory is being used for sputum microscopy test. In order to increase TB case detection 11 peripheral laboratories are running for ensuring quality service under HEED Bangladesh. All the activities of TB Control Program are running as per NTP guideline National Tuberculosis Program (NTP) Bangladesh. HEED Bangladesh is ensuring DOT (Direct Observed Treatment) through many DOT providers who include village doctor, village leaders, religious leaders, tea estate compounder & cured TB patients.
Primarily it was under single donor with Leprosy control services, and it continued up to 2004. Afterwards, both the Leprosy & TB control activities expended in twenty seven sub-districts of Sylhet, Moulvibazar and Hobiganj districts of Sylhet division as a sub-recipient of Lepra International & Global Fund through BRAC. Later in 2012, USAID funded TB Care II project through URC, HEED Bangladesh was awarded as a Sub-recipient to cover the uncovered & hard-to-reach areas of Global Funded TB Control Program especially in the tea & rubber garden areas in Sylhet division where isolated ethnic minority people live.
Objectives of the Program :
- Improve case detection and related management in the project area
- Ensure standard TB regimens administered correctly in the project area
- Advocacy for improving TB situation in the project area
- Communication and social mobilization for improving TB situation in the project area
Basic Activities of the Program :
- Screening of TB suspects and detection through sputum microscopy
- Case holding and to cue all cases by proper DOTs
- Prevention of morbidity, mortality by early case detection; and spread of MDR TB by proper DOTs
- Community awaress building through different activities of R-5 & R-8 for self-reporting, referral of suspects, ensuring DOTS and to eliminate stigma from the society against TB
- Drug collection, preservation and supply of drugs through proper DOTs providers
- Proper record keeping & reporting